Welcome to my Blog

Friday, July 6, 2012

New Insomnia Exercize Worked


I gave the counting insomnia exercise to my daughter, the one where you count  1  2  3  4 and take a breath and then count  5  6  7 8 and repeat until you fall asleep. She said it wouldn’t work for her.

“Of course it will work,” I said. “And the more you do the exercise the stronger the neural pattern becomes and it soon attaches, by learned association, to the natural going-to-sleep pattern and it takes less and less time to fall asleep.”

“No, Mom. You don’t understand. Just the thought of numbers makes me anxious because I start the day with a list of all the things I have to do. So just the thought of numbers makes me think of how behind I am in getting things done.”

“Okay,  then,” I said. “Say  A   B   C   D  and then   E   F   G   H  instead.”

She said that worked.

No comments: