Welcome to my Blog

Thursday, November 12, 2015

It's Never Too Late to Learn Something


I have a piano at my house which nobody has used since the lessons my children took never "stuck" and as adults they have no interest in playing. Except one of my daughters. From time to time, when she visits, I notice her playing a song she used to know so that she doesn't entirely forget it. Good for her.

I took lessons for about a year along with my children some 40 years ago but I long ago forgot what I learned. I tried, like my daughter, to keep playing the one song I remembered but then I waited too long and finally, when I tried to play it, I couldn't. Years have gone by since thenand I have often thought with a great deal of regret that I never kept up with my piano lessons. How much enjoyment it would be now.

A couple of weeks ago I asked my daughter in law if she know anybody that taught and she gave me a name and number. Finally last week I took the plunge and actually made an appointment. I felt a little foolish doing such a thing at my age. Some of my friends are accomplished piano players.

I had my first lesson last Monday. I was so delighted that I could actually play a simple tune with one hand. There is something about music that soothes the troubled soul.

In spare moments I memorized the white keys. I haven't done the black keys yet. Funny thing is when I got a small downer shift of mood  on Tuesday, I went over the white keys up and down the piano in my mind. The mood quickly gave way and vanished into thin air. An unlooked for benefit of learning to play the piano I thought.

I've been practicing the simple tunes in my kindergarten music book. I'm determined to stick with it this time. You can always call yourself a beginner and begin.Wish me luck. A. B. Curtiss

No comments: