Welcome to my Blog

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

More About the Brain as a Sponge

Ginger's comment below should have been posted as a comment to the last post but something went wrong and it didn't get posted. It was such a great comment that I don't want to lose it so I'm posting it today. After reading the comment I was able to make much more sense out of the analogy of the brain as a sponge. The Internet is a wonderful thing for helping each other. Thanks Ginger for your great contribution:

I can see R's analogy of the "brain as sponge" in that most of us do treat our brains passively, allowing all sorts of negativity to soak in! Without directed thinking we will just absorb whatever comes along.

The sponge is a helpful image to me, as it illustrates beautifully how passive living can get us in trouble as we merely "soak up" rather than create, experiences and thoughts.

A.B.'s assertion that we need to direct our thinking and life's path with purpose can also be seen using the visual of a sponge. One could imagine: "I won't let my sponge sit in a dirty bucket of water. I will only put my sponge in clean water. I will use my sponge productively and get much accomplished with it. How wonderful to have such a useful tool at my beck and call!"



Posted by Ginger to MobyJane at December 6, 2010 5:25 AM

No comments: