Welcome to my Blog

Sunday, March 7, 2010

People are Not Depressed Because of their Problems. They're Depressed Because of Their Depression

Dear A. B. Curtiss
Just happened to read your review of 'This Is Not the Life I Ordered' . This phrase leaped out at me:

People mistakenly think they are depressed because of their problems but, in fact, they are always depressed because of their depression.

A light bulb went off when I read it. I've been collecting helpful quotes, such as this by Milton: "The mind is its own place, and in itself/Can make a heav'n of hell, a hell of heav'n." Your quote will be added to the list! C. B.

Dear C. B.

Thanks so much for your note. Have you read either of my two depression books? The first one, Depression is a Choice is the philosophy of how to get out of the mind habits that set you up for depression and other dependencies. The second one ,Brainswitch out of Depression , tells you exactly how your brain works, and how you get from one thought to another, so you can be the responsible driver rather than the unwitting passenger of your brain. A. B. Curtiss


Dear A. B.

Although my current depressed state is caused by illness -- mine and my husband's -- and I usually do not suffer from depression, now that I know about your books I will add them to my Amazon shopping list. One or both may well prove very useful in the future.

Dear C. B.

If you have any questions as you read the books, I will be glad to answer them for you. I am a board-certified cognitive behavioral therapist and although I do not take private patients any longer, I answer anyone's questions via email. I do not charge for this. A. B. Curtiss

No comments: