Welcome to my Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What do you think of Neurofeedback?

Dear Ms. Curtiss

Since my father`s death 8 months ago I suffer from severe depression, anxiety and obsessive thinking. I had episodes of depression when I was 12, but they disappeared and did not show up for 36 years.

Various kinds of strong anti-depression medication failed (it only got worse). The only thing that gives me some relief is a tranquilizer once in a while and Trazodon (75-150mg)which helps me sleep.

I am now on 75mg and want to reduce it even more (my doctors are with me). I already found some coping strategies which help me. Your exercises give me joy and I will start right away to use them.

All this is hard work, as you know quite well. Recently, I came across some new technology which seems to show amazing results in healing depression: it is a brain state conditioning, invented by Lee Gerdes. And I wonder what is your opinion? I’ll send you the link to the tape with greetings from Vienna, Austria.

Thank you, J_____________


Dear J

I didn't have time to listen to the whole tape. I got as far as neurofeedback, which absolutely works. But then you have to use expensive machinery. You can train your brain to do what you want without neurofeedback or biofeedback. To me, training your brain with neurofeedback, using the machinery to actually see your brain scans so you can watch the result of your thinking, is like going to the gym and using the treadmill, hooked up to monitor heart rate, etc rather than just going out the front door for a jog.

Neurofeedback helps with credibility, you are sure you are doing it right because you can see the result on the screen. But the machine doesn't do the work of building neurons, only your intention and will and yes, hard work, can do that.

A. B. Curtiss

No comments: