Welcome to my Blog

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Does Watching the News Everyday Cause Depression?

Dear AB Curtiss 

I always read the news for the Middle East. Do you think this affect my ability in treating my  depression???

I am sending gratitudes to you from me and my wife because of your help has strongly affect  positively our life. 

Regards,  R________

Dear R________

I’m not sure if I understand your question. Are you telling me that listening to news from the Middle East is causing anxiety for you because the news is not good that you are hearing, and it causes you to worry? And that this worry about the news in the Middle East is causing you to have more depression? A. B. Curtiss

Dear A. B.

Yes, you are right. Does watching or reading the news about the recent conflicts in the Middle East help increasing depression? R________

Dear R___________

Like everything else, it depends upon your attitude. If your attitude is to keep up with current events in the Middle East, and keep yourself informed so that you can fulfill your civic responsibilities to vote, support those politicians that will carry out your wishes, and protect your own family and your community, that is one thing. But if you dwell on all the negative possibilities to the point of becoming anxious, and never take any positive action as a result of the information you have, that is something else again. That would be concentrating on the negative to no purpose and like all negative, anxious thinking can, indeed, lead back into depression..    A. B. Curtiss

No comments: