Welcome to my Blog

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Why is Brainswitching so Exhausting?

Dear A.B.,

I'm really struggling at work. The constant effort to brainswitch, not to follow my predominant thoughts and focus on work is really taking a toll. I come home after an 8 hr day completely exhausted and go straight to bed and waking up with anxieties and pushing myself to go to work is such a struggle. It is affecting my performance at work. Of course I'm using my will to push myself and constantly saying "I can do it, I can do it". I know it's all in my mind's doing so I should be able to do all these things. I just hope it gets easier soon with more practice. I've made a commitment to go back and I must make this work. Until this becomes easier, do I just push myself to the maximum, and push myself like I'm fighting for my life? Y_______

Dear Y__________

You are indeed fighting for your life. It's worth fighting for. But you can relax now and then. So what if depressive and fearful thoughts come. You can look at them and let them go. You don't have to think them. They cannot harm you. You can simply turn to your work and do that. Let the fearful thoughts alone. They cannot think themselves.

Suppose you were not doing brainswitching? It is just as exhausting to think depressive thoughts and fearful thoughts as it is to think more upbeat thoughts. If you are really honest you will have to admit that even if you were not at work, and not doing brainswitching, and were home in bed you would still exhaust yourself with fearful thoughts. Fearful thoughts trigger the flight or fight response and dump stress chemicals in the brain which are very hard on the metabolic processes of the body. So relax a little at work.

Try and relax your body. Relax your mind. In addition to saying "I can do it," you can also say, "relax a little, it's okay to relax, everything is fine." A. B. Curtiss

No comments: