Welcome to my Blog

Sunday, February 28, 2010

How Do You Make Any Decision?

Hi A. B.!

Hope things are fine with you these days. Would you be open to assisting me with a quandary I am in?

For many years I have wanted to go to graduate school. In the area I lived in previously, for 14 years, tuition rates were too high. I didn't go. I moved here 3.5 years ago. There were no master's degree programs in theology, the degree I was seeking. Now there are. Starting January 17, with the Spring semester, the program commences. The tuition is very reasonable, relatively speaking. The entire program will cost a little over $8,000.00 for the 2 years, plus books. It will be a blended program, 1/2 online & 1/2 on Saturdays in the classroom.

Trouble is, every 2 hours I change my mind about whether I should go or not. I felt elated when I first heard about it (a week ago) but since then have waffled like crazy. While the cost is reasonable for grad school, it's still a fair sum of money that I don't want to blow. I'm 46 yrs. old. I should be saving money right now. Also, I can't promise there will be a "return on my investment" so far as employment is concerned. If I go for it & graduate, I'll be at least 48 then, & looking for work in the field for the 1st time in my 50's. Currently I do volunteer work through my church, offering pastoral care in the hospital. I also have 2yrs. of training in hospital chaplaincy.

How do you make a decision like this? I feel like a "push-me, pull-me" from Dr. Doolittle's menagerie!

Thanks! G. O

Dear G. O.

You make this decision the way you make any decision. You make your decision from the love of something rather than fear of something. It is tricky, but nothing good comes from fear. It’s tricky because you have to separate things out that have nothing to do with love but have been kind of glomed onto love, like “winning” or “being safe,” or “impressing people.” A. B. Curtiss

No comments: