Welcome to my Blog

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

How Do You Keep from Getting Down in the Dumps?


Dear AB

QUESTION:

I am beginning to realize how my focus is very inward directed. I worry over wrinkles and my appearance like you wouldn't believe. On the other hand, at some level I realize those things can't possibly matter. Only being good can really matter. It's hard for me not get to feeling very down because of where society has gotten itself. So material focused.

How do you personally not get down in the dumps about that? What do you tell yourself about it?

I get closer each day to wanting to leave earning excess money behind and just living a simpler life. One without a lot of extras. But I can almost feel societies scorn already.

ANSWER:

Here are some of the things I tell myself when those same thoughts invade my own sense of wellbeing.

I am my age and I’m good enough.

Sometimes I remember the phrase of the “Desiderata”: “You are a child of the Universe no less than the stars and the trees. You have a right to be here.”

 I can't help everybody but I can try to help somebody.

 I can't do everything but I can do something.

 I'm lucky to have any money in a world where people are losing everything.

There is always a task at hand to save my sanity.

And if nobody is around and I feel lonely I can always go out and say something pleasant to someone at the grocery store, the library or the post office. A. B. Curtiss






No comments: