Welcome to my Blog

Friday, January 22, 2010

Physical Predictors of Depression

Physical Predictors of Depression

Dear AB

Each time before I have a depressive episode I have a metallic taste in my mouth an overwhelming desire to sleep and I shiver and shake, as well. Are these normal symptoms of depression?

I am going to try some of your suggestions from your website. My depression has been very cyclical for the past 3 years and drugs have not helped and now my doc is thinking I’m bipolar because the depression is cyclical.

Do you have any insight into any of this?

Thanks, AJ


Dear AJ

The metallic taste might be because of the excess of stress chemicals in your bloodstream. Usually depression follows stress and it is stress that triggers the fight or flight response which dumps stress chemicals into the body. Stress chemicals are extremely hard on the metabolic process of the body and cause a depletion of energy which could account for desire to sleep. But sleep is also a good way of escaping the painful feelings of depression. One of the effects of stress chemicals on the body is a kind of shaking or shivering. Sometimes it's the whole body, sometimes its just the arms and legs or the head. All depression is cyclical. Hope this helps. AB

Dear AB

Thank you for your insight. I have been dealing with this for almost 3 years and no doctor seems to have an answer; it is frustrating. I’m now being tested for adrenal malfunction; but my depression is not fun. I am trying some of your suggestions to beat depression.

Thanks, AJ

No comments: